Dental procedures involving lasers may sound like something from science fiction, but for a growing number of dentists, laser dentistry is providing safer, more comfortable dental treatments. At Family Dental Centre, we're pleased to offer this service to our valued Calgary SE patients.
Laser dentistry may eliminate the need for anesthesia, excessive bleeding, and stitches after surgery. It may also help reduce tissue damage, the risk of infection, and the length of recovery time following surgery.
With laser dentistry:
• Gums can be reshaped without cutting
• Tooth decay issues can be addressed
• Benign tumors can be removed from the mouth without stitches
To learn more about how laser dentistry can benefit you, call our office to set up a consultation.
Treating Gum Disease Using LAPT (Laser Assisted Periodontal Therapy)
Many adults over the age of 30 have some form of periodontal disease. Earlier treatments for gum disease were invasive as well as time consuming for both dentist and patient. Laser Assisted Periodontal Therapy (LAPT) makes it possible to repair gum tissue. We use a combination of traditional scaling and root planning to treat gum disease. The steps for this procedure as follows:
• A periodontal probe measures infected tissue, calculates bone loss and evaluates depth of pockets
• Pulsed laser light quickly removes diseased tissue and kills bacteria in the area between teeth and gums
• Scaling is used to remove the loosened plaque above and below the gum line
• Another application of laser treatment sterilizes the treated area and creates a clot that seals the gum tissue to the tooth root